Background & Brief
This client offers a wide range of developing services in the parcels, packets and mail sectors and was expanding rapidly with a requirement for flexibility both in volume and services. SCALA were engaged to review the site capabilities and current capacities and to build a model which could be used as a business and operational support tool.
The project approach combined;
- A practical operations assessment of all 6 UK sites examining the range of services each offered, the operations methods, the planning, the timings and the space used for each operation
- Process Mapping all the services and all the operational activities
- Analysis of operational; timing (24 hour clock) for every activity
- A detailed evaluation of volume data by service, by operation, by site for current year and seven year projection
- The development of KPIs for every service and operation (combining fixed and variable parameters)
- Identification of Improvement opportunities
- Development of a capacity model
Benefits & Results
The benefits & results of the project included the following key outputs;
- SCALA provision of a detailed capacity model with a seven year projection by hour by depot.
- Model enabled the company to test scenarios on an on-going basis including
- Volume changes
- Service changes
- Production of user friendly charts providing visibility of future space
- Identification of Depot bottlenecks and prioritisation for future sites
- Capacity checks for use in evaluating new business
SCALA are continuing to work with the client to now model and optimise the national transport network.